Wednesday, February 7, 2018

First Wrap-up of the Year! Jan. 2018

Hey guys! So far so good with the posts, but it's only been a month, so let's hope I didn't just jinx it. πŸ˜‚ I read five books this month and they were all amazing reads! Even though two of them were books from last year that I hadn't finished yet, and the other three were novellas, I still consider this a great accomplishment considering how little reading I'd done last year! Hopefully it'll only get better from here! I'm absolutely determined to get a lot of reading done over the summer before college starts! I'm also participating in a 48-hour readathon in a couple of weeks that another bookstammer is putting on and I am so excited! I plan to get a lot of reading done during this. 😁 But on to the books! 

  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)  Nov. 17th, 2017/Jan. 17th, 2018 - The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson - 5/5 ⭐s - Okay, this book is the second book in The Remnant Chronicles and let me just say, I'm loving it so far! Contrary to what you might think since it apparently took me two months to the day to finish this, though it doesn't feel like it. In my defense though, I put it down during November and December to focus on other books that I was actively reading because I was starting to get overwhelmed by the number of books I was reading at the same time. πŸ˜‚ I really started reading this book again closer to the end of December or the beginning of January and then I felt like I was speeding through it! I do think I need a break between this one and the third and final book, The Beauty of Darkness, just because it felt like this book had been on my current reads list forever and I need a break before I start that 700-page monster. πŸ˜‚

  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)  April 10th, 2017/Jan. 18th, 2018 - A Time To Die by Nadine Brandes - 4.5/5 ⭐s - Honestly, I'm absolutely ashamed that it took me this long to finish this book... Maybe because it was a buddy read? I'm not entirely sure because it's a genre that I absolutely love, dystopian, with the added amazingness of also being a Christian book. I do have a tendency to take longer to read parts that I'm afraid to see how they turn out though, and this book definitely had a lot of them. πŸ˜‚ That being said, this book was still really good, and unlike The Heart of Betrayal, I didn't feel like it took me forever to read it even though it totally did. And oh my gosh, that ending... It tore my heart into tiny pieces, and yet somehow I loved it. It was amazingly well written, especially Chapter 40 (oh, the pain...) and the last two pages of the book! Nadine Brandes is honestly the kind of author I aspire to be, and I plan on buying A Time To Speak and A Time To Rise really soon!

  • The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1) Jan. 15th/Jan. 21st - The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas - 4.5/5 ⭐s - I technically read this as part of The Assassin's Blade, which has all five novellas in one book, but I'm counting them individually in my Goodreads goal, so I figured I would do it here as well! Really, my only reason for not giving this one all five stars was because I can't say that I absolutely loved it. But it was absolutely amazing and I went back and forth on the rating for a while before deciding on 4.5! I tried and tried not to get attached to a certain character (if you've read Throne of Glass, then I'm sure you know who I'm referring to), but by the end of the story, I couldn't help it. I absolutely love him now... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜ I really enjoyed seeing Celaena before the events of Throne of Glass, too! You can tell she was a lot more light-hearted, and somewhat full of herself πŸ˜‚, in this story than the main storyline, for obvious reasons, but she was still mature and knew how to handle herself. All-in-all, I really enjoyed this story, from the plot to the characters! 

  • The Assassin and the Healer (Throne of Glass, #0.2)  Jan. 21st - The Assassin and the Healer by Sarah J. Maas - 5/5 ⭐s - Honestly, this rating is because there was absolutely nothing I didn't like and I loved Celaena and Yrene! I'm really hoping Yrene shows up again somehow because 1 - it kind of alluded to it, and 2 - I really want to see what ends up happening with her! I loved the fact that she learned how to stand up for herself and protect herself and I'm just really happy with how this one turned out. πŸ˜‚

  • The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3) Jan. 21st/Jan. 29th - The Assassin and the Desert by Sarah J. Maas - 4/5 ⭐s - It kind of pained me to give this one a four-star rating, but I just didn't like it as much as the other two. It was still amazing and I seriously love how these books have life lessons woven into them! It's nice to see Celaena actually having a hard time controlling her emotions. I feel like she hides them a lot more by the time she gets to Throne of Glass... The ending was good, though there were a couple of events that made me sad. I love the Master though. πŸ˜‚


Well, that's my January wrap-up! Hope you guys enjoyed! If you've read any of these books, let me know what you thought in the comments, and let me know what you read in January!

~AllieπŸ“š

No comments:

Post a Comment