Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Review ~ Olivia Twist by Lorie Langdon (New Favorite!)

Olivia Twist
Hey guys! I am so excited to post this review... I seriously love ranting about new favorites, and this book has definitely made the list! 




About the Book: Olivia Brownlow is no damsel in distress. Born in a workhouse and raised as a boy among thieving London street gangs, she is as tough and cunning as they come. When she is taken in by her uncle after a caper gone wrong, he life goes from fighting and stealing on the streets to lavish dinners and soirees as a debutante in high society. But she can't seem to escape her past... or forget the teeming slums where children just like her still scrabble to survive.

Jack MacCarron rose from his place in London's East End to become the adopted "nephew" of a society matron. Little does society know that MacCarron is a false name for a boy once known among London gangs as the Artful Dodger, and that he and his "aunt" are robbing them blind every chance they get. When Jack encounters Olivia Brownlow in places he least expects, his curiosity is piqued. Why is a society girl helping a bunch of homeless orphan thieves? Even more intriguing, why does she remind him so much of someone he once knew? Jack finds himself wondering if going legit and risking it all might be worth it for love.

Olivia Twist is an innovative reimagining of Charles Dickens' classic tale Oliver Twist, in which Olivia was forced to live as a boy for her own safety until she was rescued from the streets. Now eighteen, Olivia finds herself at a crossroads: revealed secrets threaten to destroy the "proper" life she has built for herself, while newfound feelings for an arrogant young man she shouldn't like could derail her carefully laid plans for the future.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Genre(s): Historical Fiction; Young Adult; Classic Retelling

Age Range: 15-16+ (some violence, though not detailed; a few kissing scenes with some detail)


Favorite Quote(s)

Can the entire book be my favorite quote? 😂

Review

Okay, just... 😍

Now that I have that out of the way, I'll get on to the actual review. 😂 For days, I couldn't put into words how much I absolutely loved this book! I feel like I sped through it (I think that was partially helped by the promise of gifts at certain pages, thanks to Once Upon a Book Box. 😂) and I never wanted to put it down! I haven't read much historical fiction yet, but if they were all like this one, I would binge the heck out of that genre!

I absolutely loved the characters! Olivia and Jack were both so full of attitude and sass, which I love in books, and the secondary characters were all amazing as well! Even the villains were amazing villains. 😂 I actually haven't read Oliver Twist yet, but after reading this, I plan on picking it up soon! And the storyline was so good, guys. It never left me bored for an instant, there was always some kind of action happening and it always helped lead the plot along.

The one thing I do wish was that we got a little more between the last chapter and the epilogue. I was so happy with how it ended, and it was a very satisfying ending, but I would have loved to see how the characters got from the end of point A to point B. That may also just be because I was not at all ready for it to end. There's seriously no way for this book to ever have a sequel, but I still wish it did. 😂

After reading this book, I will definitely be checking out some of the other works written by this author! Her writing is amazing and she does a great job of keeping you hooked the entire time! If you haven't read this book yet, even if you're not sure if historical fiction is your thing, I highly recommend it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment