Sunday, January 17, 2016

First Review of the Year!! Into the Deepwoods by Paul Stewart (The Edge Chronicles - Book 1)

Okay, so I'm not sure if I'm gonna review every single book that I read.......but I really wanted to write a review on this one!!

Beyond the Deepwoods

About the book - Young Twig lives in the Deepwoods, among the Woodtrolls, but he isn't one of them. In a brave attempt to find out where he belongs, Twig wanders into the mysterious, dangerous world beyond the Deepwoods. He meets a collection of odd companions, such as his wise guardian, the Caterbird; the slaughterers, a peaceful race who butcher animals for their livelihood; and the vicious, bile-swilling rotsucker. Always watching out for the horrible Gloamglozer, whose presence haunts the thoughts of all the inhabitants of The Edge, Twig steadfastly pursues his quest until he discovers his roots, not among the trees, but in the skies....

Pages - 278 (according to Goodreads) 

Genre(s) - Fantasy

Age range - 13+ (depending on the person reading it...)

POV - Third person - Twig - 13 - Main character

Stars - 4/5 (because of the last four chapters.....read review for explanation...) 

Review - Okay, first of all, this book is really weird........It definitely takes some getting used to.... so this book has its good sides and its bad sides. First, this book is a little violent....and there are illustrations in this book that possibly would've given me nightmares if I was younger.... I showed one of the pictures to a couple of my friends and they both agreed that it was pretty creepy. Another thing I didn't really like about the book was that as soon as Twig would get out of one dangerous situation, he'd end up right in another one. I understand that the Deepwoods are very dangerous when you stray from the path, but this continued on through most of the book and I felt that it should've been spaced out a bit more. Now there were only fourteen chapters in this book, therefore the reason I finished it in two days - that and the way it was written was pretty easy to read, but anyway, it took me ten chapters to really get into this book and want to read the second one (which I own along with this one)....the last four chapters are when the most interesting (in my opinion) characters (*cough* pirates *cough*) came in and it drew me in a lot faster than the other ten chapters did...up until chapter ten I wasn't really sure about this book.....I didn't want to give it three stars, but I wasn't sure if I liked it enough to give it four.....but the last four chapters helped me make up my mind in favor of the fourth star and also in favor of reading the second book (which is now in my book jar!) 


~Allie~

Btw - This story gave me an idea for a story, so that's another good thing! XD (Except for the fact that I have a bunch of other stories I'm supposed to be working on.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment