Monday, June 20, 2016

Review! Zodiac by Romina Russell (Zodiac - Book 1)

Oh my gosh I haven't written a review since January...... 0.0 I need to actually get into writing these again! So anyways, I borrowed Zodiac from my friend Shelby about 3 or 4 months ago and I finally got into the mood to read it about two weeks ago.... After reading this book in a week, I felt like it really deserved a review since I had so many different emotions about this book....to the point where I'm going to try a new setup using pros and cons this time (I actually made a list for this book)... XD 



Zodiac


About the book - In a galaxy where your sign determines which planet you call home, Rho, the young Guardian of Cancer, must find a way to unite the divided Houses of the Zodiac before an ancient evil destroys them all. 
But who will believe anything this young novice says? Whom can Rho trust in a universe defined by differences? And how can she convince twelve worlds to unite as one Zodiac? 

Pages - 439 plus 9 pages of the second book (Wandering Star)

Genre(s) - Young Adult, Science Fiction

Age range - 16+ (for adult content and violence)

POV - First person - Rho - Age 17 - Main character

Stars - 4/5

Pros

  • I loved the personalities of the characters that you really get to know, and even some of the ones that you don't get to know too well. 
  • It was really interesting learning about the different ways that each Zodiac runs, (Ex. democracy, monarchy, etc.), and learning about the way the people look and act. I liked that each Zodiac had a different way of greeting each other! 
  • Can I just point out a single character as a pro? Cause if so, Mathias Thais. That's all I'm saying. Hysan is nice too, but Mathias is amazing! 
  • I loved Hysan calling Mathias names... I'm pretty sure "lady of robes" was my favorite....XD 
  •  This may be a really weird pro, but I was really amused by Hysan and Mathias pretty much hating each other the entire book.... XD 
Cons

  • I've gotta say that this book started out with a really strong Divergent feel.....Rho said some things that reminded me of Tris, Mathias reminded me (and still does) strongly of Tobias (not to mention their names rhyme...), and at first the different planets reminded me slightly of the factions or maybe even the districts from The Hunger Games as they each represent a different thing. However, as the book went on, it gave me less and less of a reminder of Divergent.
  • There are multiple references to drugs and a few references to drinking throughout the book.
  • Throughout the book, it seemed as if it barely went a few chapters without people dying....it did help the story line progress, but there were multiple times when I texted Shelby with the words "So. Much. Dying." XD 
  • Finally. there was an adult scene for about 3 or 4 pages which I skipped because I don't feel comfortable reading that type of scene. I also didn't feel like it was necessary to have this scene in the book....there are multiple other ways to comfort someone....
Complete Review

Even though there were some parts in this book I wasn't a fan of, I fully intend to read Wandering Star as soon as I can borrow it from Shelby (she's currently reading it) and I'm hoping to get it within the next coming month or so! I honestly really need the second book because of certain events close to the end of Zodiac which I (for the moment) refuse to acknowledge as true......XD 




No comments:

Post a Comment